When treatment ends, families may feel excited about the future. Completing treatment is often an anticipated and celebrated milestone. However, it may be surprising to discover mixed feelings about coming off treatment. The coming off treatment handbook and immunisation after cancer treatment has finished resources have been designed to support families when their child completes treatment.
After the rain: two stories of life after treatment for paediatric cancer, is a film discussing two families’ experiences of finishing treatment.
A podcast series has also been developed to provide families with information including what to expect when finishing treatment, thoughts and emotions and looking after siblings:
- Introduction (54 seconds)
- Podcast 1: End of treatment (9:13 minutes)
- Podcast 2: Thoughts and emotions (23:28 minutes)
- Podcast 3: Siblings (16:05 minutes)
- Podcast 4: Medical challenges (18:22 minutes)
- Podcast 5: Thinking about the future (21:32 minutes)
To listen to these podcasts left click (you will require a modern browser i.e. google chrome/Mozilla firefox).
To download these podcasts right click and select ‘save link as’.